On Friday, October 21st at 7 pm:
Children and families, please join us at the rec center to both have fun and learn to be safe on Halloween. The event will include showing the Movie “Hotel Translyvania 2” and scary treats. Click on the flyer link above for more information. Activity is free
On Monday, October 31st at 6:30 – 8:30 pm
We will be having an indoor Trunk or Treat (using bins as trunks for candy) inside our lobby on Halloween night. For Ages 6-15, and the activity is free. Youth can enjoy story-telling, sing-a-longs, a costume contest and more!
6-week class at Charles Houston Rec starting Tuesday, October 4th
Tuesday evenings 6-7 pm
A fun fitness class plus discussions each week on a topic: how to exercise safely; small changes we can make to our diet to improve health; and keys to health such as blood pressure, blood sugar and weight
Taught by 2 nurses
Call the rec for more info or register at Alexandria.gov/recreation
Discounted fee based on need
Register by September 29
A Neighborhood Bocce Tournament is being hosted at Braddock Interim Park on Sunday September 25th From 2 PM.
Registration is free and open to all community members aged 13 and older.
Create teams of 3-8 friends, family or neighbors and join the fun –
or join as an individual and meet some new neighbors. booce-tournament-9-25-16_final
For additional information and to register, visit http://braddockboccetournament.eventbrite.com
Cheerleading Sign Up Tonight!
• September 16th at CHRC
• $20 per participant
• Pays for registration in Dec 17th competition and April Competition
Three Age Groups:
• Pee Wee – 5 to 8
• JV – 5 to 17
• Varsity – 6th grade to 12th grade
Additional cost for Uniforms:
• Approximate Cost is $110 per uniform
• Goal is to raise money through fundraising which may cover up to 50% of uniform cost
Practice starts week of September 19th
Contact Program Leader:
• Mia Parks: email@example.com
Celebrating Men’s Health Day
(In recognition of Prostate Cancer Awareness Month)
Tuesday, September 13, 2016
10 – Noon
Featuring Walgreen’s Pharmacist Krystal Patel
Come hang with the guys for a discussion on prostate cancer and the importance of men’s vitamins
Held at & Sponsored by The Senior Center @ Charles Houston Rec Center (703-746-5456)
901 Wythe Street Alexandria, VA 22314
Please call Vanessa Greene, Senior Center Director to sign-up to attend
The Senior Center @ Charles Houston is sponsored by the Alexandria Redevelopment & Housing Authority (ARHA) in partnership funded with the City’ of Alexandria Department of Community & Human Services’ Division of Aging & Adult Services.
The City of Alexandria Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities is conducting its annual Program Interest Survey to help determine programming priorities by location, time of day and participant’s age. Paper surveys are available at all City community centers or click the Program Interest Survey to complete it online. To ensure your voice is heard, surveys should be submitted by Sunday, September 11.
The survey takes only a few minutes to complete and will guide the development of future program offerings. City residents and nonresidents are encouraged to participate.
An example of feedback received from previous surveys is the need for adult exercise & fitness classes and adult dance classes on weekday evenings. In response to these findings, the following new programs are being offered this Fall:
· Pilates for ages 16 & up at Charles Houston Recreation Center, Mondays, 6-6:45 p.m.
· Salsa Dancing for ages 18 & up at Charles Houston Recreation Center, Mondays,7-8 p.m.
· Fitness for Life for ages 18 & up at Charles Houston Recreation Center, Tuesdays,6-7 p.m.
· Super Fat Burning Kickboxing Workout for ages 16 & up at Charles Houston Recreation Center, Tuesdays & Thursdays, 5:45-6:45 p.m.
· Belly Dancing for ages 18 & up at Chinquapin Park Recreation Center & Aquatics Facility, Tuesdays & Thursdays, 7-8 p.m.
· Fit4Baby for prenatal moms ages 18 & up at Chinquapin Park Recreation Center & Aquatics Facility, Wednesdays, 7-8 p.m.
· Hip Hop Fitness for ages 13 & up at William Ramsay Recreation Center, Thursdays, 6-7 p.m.
· Capoeira Angola Brazilian Martial Arts for ages 16 & up at Charles Houston Recreation Center, Thursdays, 6:45-7:45 p.m.
The complete listing of programs being offered in the Fall will be available online and in community centers, libraries and City Hall beginning Wednesday, August 3. If you have questions, contact Kelly Gilfillen, Marketing Manager, at 703.746.4644 firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of Alexandria is committed to compliance with the City’s Human Rights Code and the Americans with Disabilities Act. To receive materials in an alternative format, call Kelly Gilfillen at 703.746.4644 (VA Relay 711) or email@example.com.
For more information, click here.
Image Posted on Updated on
Our own Shakur Stevenson is in the quarterfinals of boxing (Bantam 56KG) in the 2016 Rio Olympics with this win tonight. He trains at Charles Houston Rec Center. His next match for a medal is on Tuesday, August 16th. Let’s root him on! Congrats, Shakur!
For more information on Shakur’s Olympic experience, visit http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/rio-update-shakur-stevenson-wins-first-olympic-fight